In today’s rapidly changing business landscape, every organisation understands the importance of efficient document shredding. This is particularly important for businesses that are still dependent on paper-based information.
In the recent times, we have heard of many security breaches that have resulted from unwanted business documents falling into wrong hands. This can be caused by payroll information left at a printer or a bank statement left on a desk. Using a document shredder is the easiest and the most cost-efficient way to deal with these sensitive or unneeded documents.
Businesses looking to shred their rejected documents have more than one option to choose from. The first one is to simply purchase a document shredder. Another common option is to engage a professional shredding service. Businesses finding it difficult to choose between buying a shredder and using a shredding service should remember that almost always, investing in your own paper shredder is the smartest and safest solution.
There are many benefits of owning your own paper shredder. Let us now take a look at some of the reasons why every business should consider having at least one.
- Price: In these tough economical times, pricing is undoubtedly a major point to consider. The cost of purchasing a document shredder may appear to be a bit steep for some businesses. However, data security is not something to be taken lightly. Also, please be mindful of the fact that the cost of hiring a professional shredding service can be 3 to 4 times higher compared to shredding your own documents.
- Additional Expenses: It is also important to remember that many mobile shredding services charge additional fees for the number of bins they pick up, the time spent in the building, the amount of discarded materials removed, and fuel. The only way to avoid these expenses is to purchase your own document shredder.
- Confidentiality: Purchasing their own shredder is the most secure option for businesses looking to shred their rejected business documents as soon as it needs to be destroyed. Placing a shredder right next to the copy/fax machine is a good practice for them because it allows them to shred confidential documents at source. This completely eliminates the probability of sensitive documents being handled by outsiders.
- Security: Unfortunately, a large majority of the shredding services don’t offer the highest level of security. The machines used by them have high capacity, and are capable of shredding a lot of documents quickly. Often times, this means that the documents are shredded into relatively larger pieces. I am sure many of you have solved puzzles where different pieces need to put together. Naturally, doing the same with these shredded documents can be a piece of cake for an offender.
- Personal Organisation: Using a document shredding service needs rejected documents to be stored. This is not only a potential security concern, but also occupies expensive office space. Shredders, on the other hand, require very little space and help businesses remain organised by eliminating excess filing cabinets and minimising paper clutter.
At Mastershred, we offer top of the line solutions for security destruction of documents. Please contact us today to discuss your document destructions needs and options.